Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pieces of Maine will turn up just about anywhere

I’m sitting in the Troke Branch Library in Stockton, Calif., using the WiFi for the continuing job search. A guy and a woman just sat down at a nearby table and he is wearing a Bar Harbor sweatshirt. It makes me homesick. Pieces of home turn up just about anywhere.

If he and the woman weren’t in a rather involved conversation, I’d ask to take a photo and post it.

There was another time not long after I first moved to California that I was wearing a T-shirt from an ice cream shop – I forget the name but I believe it was in Saco and the shop was in a railroad Cushman car. The T-shirt had an image of the railroad car and I was wearing it while hiking with friends in the redwoods. A passing hiker said, “Hey, I’ve had ice cream there!”

See, pieces of home turn up just about anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment