Sunday, August 8, 2010

A hometown celebration: Accomplishments of George Mitchell to be recognized at Alfond Youth Center | Waterville Morning Sentinel

WATERVILLE — No matter how important his job or mission, George Mitchell never lets his hometown stray far from his thoughts.

After all, it is here that his three siblings and much of his extended family live, and here that his earliest memories were made.

“Like most people, I’m a product of my upbringing – my parents, the schools I attended, the community I lived in – so I think my growing up in Waterville has had a large and important role in my life,” he said.

Indeed, Waterville is the place where a young man who one day would be asked to step in as chairman of the troubled Walt Disney Co. got his first taste of the free enterprise system, cleaning at the local Boys Club.

It’s where Mitchell, who later in life would be called upon to investigate steroid abuse in Major League Baseball, learned to love the game – and the Red Sox.

It’s the place where a boy who grew up to be one of the world’s leading diplomats was first recognized as someone who could bring people together.

Click for the rest of this story by Amy Calder in the Waterville Morning Sentinel.


Mitchell believes ‘peace can prevail’

No comments:

Post a Comment