Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nah, the Allagash has to be longer than that … doesn’t it?

When I was a kid – I don’t remember how old exactly – my family and my Uncle Wally’s family loaded up canoes on various mode of land vehicle and we drove to north central Maine and camped near the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, of which the Allagash is the central component. The next day, we put in canoes and we paddled out way north – the Allagash flows northward – for nearly a week of paddling along the waterway.

DownEast.com today had a trivia question about the length of the waterway and I was surprised at the answer. It seemed a little short, from what I remember of that trip. But then again, I was a youngster sitting in the back of a canoe. It was a pretty sweet adventure.

As I recall, we had to pick up the pace a bit about midway. A Maine game warden caught up with us to tell us that a relative of my father had died. He wanted to make the funeral services so we paddled double-time after we got the word.

Here’s the question and answer.

How long is the Allagash Wilderness Waterway?

Answer:

Ninety-two miles in northern Piscataquis and western Aroostook counties.

Trust me, it felt much longer than 92 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment